Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Crochet Therapy

After living in Portland, Oregon for over 20 years I moved with my family to the East Bay in California.  Although I had the love of my boys, those were lonely days for me.  I got into a job that was difficult to transition into, we moved into a house that was still under renovation, and then came a miscarriage and the subsequent choice to step away from working in an attempt to stitch up the sudden void left inside of me.

A few weeks ago, the church I attend held a memorial for two teenage boys who drowned while swimming in a local dam.  Each boy was on Earth for less than 17 years.  I don't know the families personally, but how tragic it is to out-live your own child.  Does it feel the same?  Is the pain of losing a child you've loved for 17 years the same as losing an unborn child you fondly envisioned a future for?  I don't have the answer; I pray I never will, but these events in life --- events that leave scars in your heart that every once in a while open into a well of tears --- have to be stitched by some means.  This is what crocheting does for me.

3 comments:

  1. A child is a child, it doesn't matter how old. They live in your heart forever. My heart and prayers are with you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was an event that happened a couple years ago, but tragic news open wounds of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... what a story,,, stay strong. I think we all need an outlet ... to calm our minds and restore our hearts,,, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Next to smiles, they're my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...