Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Remember When...

Does your little one have a security "thingy"?  Be it a blanky, a binky, a stuffed animal or pillow; it's never less than arm's length from baby.  For my sons, it was a monster plushy.  I've always found it difficult to spend money on things I felt I could make at a fraction of the retail cost.  So when the wide-eyed monsters hit the store shelves for $25 each, I bought ten dollars of material from the fabric store and made some monsters for my kids.  That was 6 years ago.  Since then, the monsters have been everywhere with my boys:  show-and-tell, the hospital, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong and every road trip (even if it was just a short trip to the supermarket).  Consequently, they've also been through the washer and dryer many times.


A few months ago, I was a little disheartened when they were left behind during my sons' road trip to Utah with their grandparents.  "Why did you leave Orange and Blue?" I asked them when they got home.  My boys just looked at me and shrugged.  I was sad that they were so ready to dismiss what I had held on to as their childhood.  My first instinct was to take the plushies to Goodwill, but I inspected the monsters and knew they had seen better days:  they were both pilling, Blue's mouth was coming undone and Orange's arm was on its last thread.  These guys would probably go from donation bin to dumpster.

I just couldn't let them go.

I took out my seam ripper, ripped the side seams and removed their stuffing.  I had some 8X10 acrylic frames that used to hold my kids' artwork.  I would've liked to have used larger frames, but I like to use what I have.  Now, each monster is peeking into his Master's room as if to say, "Remember me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Next to smiles, they're my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...