Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Dry Versus Humid

I've been focusing so much on succulent plants for the simple reason that, well... they're simple.  They don't ask for much--just to keep them away from too much water and freezing temperatures.  Heck, if you cut off one of their "limbs," the limbs will grow into new plants!

I decided to be brave and get some tropical plants--which, unlike succulents, love moisture and humidity. That was a bad idea. I bought some carnivorous plants. I gave them rain water per the grower's instructions, but the brown part of my thumb got the best of them.  They are now buried in the yard-debris bin. Not to be outdone, I bought some hibiscus and planted them close to the house to keep them as warm as possible.  During the first sign of frost, the hibiscus was decimated.

The main reason I wanted to start collecting tropical plants was that they remind me so much of my visits to Bali. I came up with a way to combine both my love for succulents and the tropics. It happened when I placed a swatch of batik in an acrylic frame. I suddenly envisioned it as a background for some succulents.

I circled where I wanted to insert the succulents, removed the acrylic frame, and then melted holes through the markings with my wood burner.
I put the batik and cardboard-backing in the acrylic frame. Using an X-acto knife, I cut through the fabric and cardboard where the holes were made.

I took some succulent cuttings from my garden and inserted each cutting into a hole.  To stabilize and secure the plants, I wrapped their stems with florist tape.

Now, I can display my love for succulents and Bali without killing innocent plants.


It looks great on our bookshelf, but imagine an accent wall decked out in various batik and succulents....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Next to smiles, they're my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...