Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Don't Shed a Tier

Google DIY 3 Tiered Serving Tray and you'll understand why I had to get on the bandwagon and create one for myself. Maybe after you go through this project, you'll get inspired to make one too. Here's one that caught my eye, made by seelamade:

Out of all the DIY projects out there, this one caught my eye because my pastry-chef sister gave me a set of cake pans. I thought about using the rolling pin I've had tucked away in one of my cupboards, but decided against chopping up the same tool Mom used for her flaky pie crusts and empanada shells. After much brainstorming, here is what I came up with:
Here are all the materials I used:
~3 cake pans, varying in size ~ 2 jars** of the same height ~ E6000 glue
**a note regarding the jars: one is thinner than the other -- the thinner one will sit in the medium-sized pan and the stouter jar will sit in the largest pan.

Here's how to put it all together:

1) Mark the center of each cap and cake-pan.  Drill holes through the center of each pan.


2) Apply E6000 on the top of the smaller cap, and adhere the cap to the bottom of the small cake pan. Use the mark as a guide to center the cap.  Repeat this process with the bigger cap and medium cake pan.

3) This step is optional. For added stability, you can glue the bottom of the small jar in the medium cake pan; and repeat this process for the large jar and large cake pan. I skipped this step so I could easily store the display when it's not in-use.


4) Allow the glue to set for at least 6 hours.
5) Now screw the caps onto the bottles and stack the pans.

6) Display whatever it is you'd like. Oh, dear, it looks like I need more succulents!
As I head out to the garden center, I realize that adding decorative rocks or moss inside the jars would make this display look so cool. Aside from adding more plants, what else do you think this display needs?

If I ever get tired of this display, I will be able to store it like this:
Unscrew the bottle caps off.
Separate the bottom layer of the small cake pan from the rim, and place the bottom sheet in the large cake pan.

 Stack the medium sized cake pan inside the large cake pan.
Place the small rim inside the medium cake pan.
Invert the large bottle and place around the thinner bottle.
Place in storage...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Next to smiles, they're my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...