Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I Heart U

Valentine's day is just around the corner! Here's a quick project I just finished up.

I'm sorry I don't have a pattern for these little (about 2"X2") letters and heart. I crocheted them out of jute gardening twine using chain and slip stitches. The J Hook worked nicely.
 I widened the stitches using the sharpened tip of a pencil.
For the I and U, I placed a dot of glue and inserted a succulent cutting into each widened stitch. Leaves were used to trim the heart and rosette cuttings were used to fill it.

You can mount (glue) these onto a canvas or burlap-wrapped frame. In the picture below, they are temporarily on top of a placemat until the glue dries. The cuttings should last for about 2-3 months before they will need additional nutrients. These can also be planted directly atop well-drained soil or sphagnum moss.
I and U are showing off Sedum 'Angelina' cuttings, while the heart is filled with Graptosedum 'California Sunset.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Next to smiles, they're my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...